Sunday, January 30, 2005

The 6 months List

From time to time I get interested in new hobbies/interests and these tend to spawn some sort of big purchase. To keep everything in perspective I've adopted the use of a 6 month 'cooling off' period before making major purchases.

For example, two months ago I thought I was going to be the next Bonzo, and looked into getting a set of electronic drums so I could practice without waking up the whole neighborhood. I put it on the '6 months list' and here two months later I couldn't care less about investing 2 grand in a drumset.

So here in no particular order is the current wishlist:

- Telescope. A nice 6 to 8 inch Dobsonian reflector so that my son and I can explore the heavens from our backyard.

- Ipod. I recently went ahead and got an Ipod shuffle, and it is great. This would be a great way to take our music and audio books on the road with us on long trips.

- A Good Electric Guitar. Probably a Fender Strat or a Gibson SG. I've had a couple of low end beginnner electrics and played some of the higher end guitars. The higher end guitars are put together better and play alot smoother.

- Guitar Lessons. I've pretty much hit a plateau on what I can teach myself and get off the net. Professional intervention is needed.

- New video setup for the bedroom. 14 year old TV, 'nuff said.

- Apple Powerbook. In younger days we always had an apple computer in the house, beginning with an Apple II+. We had a mixed experience with a pre-Steve Jobs era low end Mac about 8 years ago, maybe it is time to give them another chance.

That's it. In a couple of months we'll revisit this and see what is still important and what was just a passing fancy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home